One of my best friends called today for an update and I realized that I hadn’t really shared about tomorrow’s follow-up appointment and what it means exactly. When we left Lubbock last week, the plan was to go to Houston, get laser surgery, be completely healed, praise Jesus, and go home. When my waters broke just minutes after leaving the operating room last Tuesday, all of that changed.
When the MFM (baby specialist) came in to see what was going on, she scanned my belly and then quietly told Nate and me that we were losing both of our babies. I felt like my heart was being torn from my chest. Between the sobs I just heard myself saying, “No. That’s not fair.” Nate had no words.
We were taken into my room on the labor and delivery floor and tried to process what we had just been told. They were both dying. I could go into labor anytime. If I didn’t go into labor, I could get an infection and need to be induced to deliver my two babies to die. My head was spinning and I was no longer understanding much of anything. Every nurse and doctor we saw over the next few hours seemed to agree with what we had been told.
What Went Wrong?
Basically, when they went in for the TTTS laser ablation surgery, Eden’s membrane separated from the wall of my womb. This wasn’t a surprise because at 16 weeks membranes are just beginning to fuse to the walls. What was a surprise was that my water broke just twenty minutes or so after that surgery. This means I could go into labor anytime or risk life-threatening infection. If I get a fever, I’m headed to the hospital to have my babies taken out to save my life. If I go into labor, I’m headed to the hospital to deliver babies who will take a few breaths and pass away.
When we finally got to see the head doctor again, he seemed much more hopeful. Chances weren’t good that they would live, but both Eden and Everly were stable and that gave us a chance. He offered us an experimental treatment called an amniopatch. Basically, the amniopatch is a procedure that tries to seal the torn membrane and prevent premature delivery as a result of the ruptured membrane. The procedure inserts clotting substances inside the amniotic cavity (bag of waters). The hope is that the clotting substances then seals the hole in the membrane. It’s basically like patching a flat tire. Our doctor had only preformed two other amniopatches in his entire career with one working and one not. Since the procedural risk was relatively low to myself and the babies, we agreed.
Where We’re At Now
Tomorrow we have an appointment with my MFM in Lubbock to see if the amniopatch worked.
If the amniopatch did not work, then we know Eden will not live. She will continue to grow, but because there will never be fluid around her she will never have the time to develop her lungs. She’ll be born, take a few breaths, fall asleep, and wake in the arms of her Heavenly Father. Also, if the patch is unsuccessful, Everly will only have a 50% chance of surviving. We will still be fighting infection, preterm labor, and her just passing away. I will be on complete bed rest and, if I make it to 24 weeks, I will then be admitted to the hospital for weeks or months until she’s born.
If the amniopatch does work there’s an almost 100% chance (barring further complications) that both will live and I will carry till 35 weeks. Incredible. I may or may not have bed rest in this scenario.
- That the amniopatch worked!
- That we would have peace tonight as we wait.