TTTS Update 01.17.18 – Because He Lives Miracles Do Happen

“The fact that you went to Houston, had the laser surgery, had the anmiopatch, and are sitting here with a viable pregnancy is a miracle.”

Those words from our specialist today were the best we’ve heard this whole pregnancy. I’m home on my couch now writing this post, and for the first time ever I’m struggling for the words. My emotions have been so strained for so long. I think I also thought we would get more definitive answers today than we walked away with.

When the tech first began the ultrasound, Nate and I were both nervous that she wouldn’t find two heart beats, but she did. Then we were nervous that she wouldn’t find fluid, but she did. And then we were nervous that she wouldn’t see both bladders, but she did.

Our specialist then came in and let us know that the findings were really good. Then he ushered us to a private counseling room for further discussion. He asked us about our time in Houston and what we felt it was like. Then he confirmed that we had witnessed a true miracle and that he had not expected a good scan today. “The only thing we can do now is pray.” The medical work has been done. God used skilled men and women to preform surgery and other medical procedures. Now we wait and God does the rest.

He said what we had seen today was better than expected, but that we are far from out of the woods. He explained that even without all we’ve been through that this would be a very complicated pregnancy (being identical twins sharing a placenta). The term he repeated was, “cautiously optimistic.” We will take it week by week.

I’m still on modified bed rest which will continue to be a practical strain on our family and an emotional one on me. Thank God we have family and friends working hard to care for us. Until I reach 26 weeks, this will be our new normal. Once we reach viability we will be able to reevaluate and see what’s best for the next phase.

I will continue to regularly blog while on bed rest, but official TTTS updates should come about every two weeks or so. Feel free to subscribe if you’d like these emailed to you directly.

Praises

1. That I did not get the flu this week! Not even one person around us did even though it’s flu season and Houston had a huge outbreak.
  2. That it appears that the amniopatch IS working!
  3. That we still have two live, healthy babies.
  4. That we are able to have family and friends to help during this time.
  5. That the TTTS surgery appears successful.

Prayer Requests

1. Continued health for everyone, but especially the babies.
  2. That we would be able to work everything out to have family here to help for the full bed rest time.
  3. That I would have a content heart during this new season of waiting and bed rest.

Thank you to our friends and family for all of the prayers, love, and support. I hope this story builds hope and faith in the hearts of all who prayed for us. It truly is incredible to watch a miracle unfold before your very eyes. We still don’t know the end of this story, but we do know God has carried us through TTTS so far and will continue to do so.

44 Responses to TTTS Update 01.17.18 – Because He Lives Miracles Do Happen

1. Kevin Lewis says:

YAAAAAY! So thankful!! -Love Dad

• Hannah says:

YES! Thanks so much for holding down the fort while mom came. I don’t know what we would have done without her.

2. Delaney Phillips says:

I’m so glad to see how God has worked in protecting your babies, Hannah. Continuing to pray for y’all. Please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help.

• Hannah says:

Thank you Delaney. It is amazing to watch Him do what doctors cannot. That said, we are so grateful to have some of the best doctors in the world. Thank you for the continued prayers! We’ll need them for a long time. I will! You just never know what needs will pop up.

3. Oscar and Joyce scott says:

Wonderful news Hanna! You are greatly blessed and we will continue to pray God’s favor over the babies and you. We look forward to seeing another set of miracle twins in our family. The Lord our God, God Almighty, has you and those babies in the palm of his hand. From the very beginning we have prayed for and had faith for two live healthy babies, and we still do! May the Lord bless and keep you all. Oscar and Joyce.

• Hannah says:

Yes, this was amazing news to hear. Thank you so much for the prayers and faith! We still need them. God has brought us this far and we know He will continue to carry us and fight for our babies. Only He can do this work.

• Oscar and Joyce scott says:

When we received Caleb’s update this morning regarding the “cabin fever” that you are experiencing, It occurred to me that God has gifted you with the unusual and exceptional ability to write in an interesting way. Might you want to use this time of inactivity physically to be more active spiritually and mentally.? Have you ever considered writing a book? Has God laid something like that on your heart but you’ve never responded? This may be the opportunity to do it if He has.

• Hannah says:

That’s a very interesting thought. And it’s been funny to me that people just keep mentioning writing to me (You are the third just this week). I never thought of myself as a writer or really anything special. That said, I already have the title if I ever did a writing project. But then I wouldn’t know the first thing about publishing something. Haha. Thank you though for encouraging me. I will certainly pray about this.

4. jenni elaine fuhrman says:

thank you, God!!! so in awe of our Lord!!! continuing to pray hard for these precious babies, you and your family!!!
    love, jenni

5. Collette Ellenberger says:

Hi to all of you:
    Please do NOT attempt to get up and help around the house. Everyone there is willing and able to pitch in. They understand the circumstances. Just keep at peace knowing you and the twins are in God’s hands. Love to you, Aunt Coco

• Hannah says:

Oh it’s soooooo hard for me. I tidied up for a few minutes today, but then realized it’s just not worth it. My babies are more important than my house. Someday I’ll get to be the mom I want to be again.

6. Jessica says:

Are they going to check you regularly for infection? I had to have this done weekly with my pprom but I didn’t have an amniopatch so not sure if that makes a difference. I had no symptoms but did end up with an infection so I hope they’re checking it!

• Hannah says:

They aren’t as of right now. It looks like my patch worked!! If it hadn’t I would have had to take my temp three times a day and be admitted to the hospital at 24 weeks until the babies came.
      Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I’ll ask my specialist about that next time. I think as long as the patch worked I’m not at risk.
      How did your story end, if you don’t mind me asking?

7. Abbie says:

After watching your live yesterday my heart was very heavy and I’m so very happy for the best possible news for you all today!!! I’ll continue sending my love prayers and strength for you both and Eden and Everly
    Stay strong Mumma and know that love and prayers are reaching you from around the world
    Lots of love from Australia 💙💙🙏🏽🙏🏽

• Hannah says:

Oh thanks for watching. The IG community is so encouraging and loving. Thank you for the love and prayers all the way from Australia. We feel them!

8. Karina says:

That’s such amazing news! Thanking God for what will be the beginning of lots of good news, I have no doubt. 😊

9. Tiffany says:

Hannah & Nate,

We are overjoyed to hear this news. When you first announced your pregnancy with identical twins, I told James, “I want to feel excited for them, but if I’m honest, I just feel so
    scared.” I chalked my misplaced fear up to my own trauma carrying triplets… Seth & Nate being identical. And while our path wasn’t completely the same (Seth and Nate never developed TTS… we were advised to abort them to save Grace). We lived in that world of statistics and percentages. I went into labor with them at 19 weeks and was put on bed rest at home. At 26 weeks I was admitted and we thought they’d be delivering. More statistics as the neonatologist told us what to expect. I stayed in the hospital hooked up to a catheter until 30 weeks and 1 day. Anyway, all this to say, I’ve had a taste of this and the grace and dignity with which you are handling it is just so spirit filled. It’s hard for us to read your posts because we know how hard it is. But a necessary hard. A good hard that prepared us for parenting all of these kids at once. A hard that made us so much more grateful for each day with them because we knew how close we were to not having any. And while we haven’t entered the teen years yet, so far the pregnancy and NIcU time was the hardest parenting we’ve done yet. We are praying for you both, for your courage and hearts and the joy that comes from watching God use the hard things and turn them into beauty.

• Hannah says:

After I stopped flipping out, that was my exact feeling. There’s just SO much that can go horribly wrong with identicals.
      I didn’t know you were offered abortion! Y’all were brave to continue. Abortion was never on the table for us either of course, but our specialist did talk about it. In a certain situation in surgery it would have saved one baby’s life. I think that was one of the most traumatic moments during the entire Houston time. We ended up saying “no” and that we would trust the surgeons and God with the outcomes. Oh wow! What a scary time to go into labor. We are praying and praying to make it into the 30s.
      Thank you so much for the kind words. It’s been the most difficult time in our entire lives. Nate and I laugh that when they come (Lord willing) that we’ll think twins are seriously no big deal. Ha. I think we’ll feel the same way and be so extremely grateful for them. I’m trying to cherish each day now that I get to be their mom this side of heaven. Seth, Nathan, and Gracie are true miracles and I’m blessed to know them.

10. Kim Salazar says:

Praise God!! He is the one who holds it all in His hands.

• Hannah says:

Praise God indeed! Yes, He does. That is the only thing that brings us hope. Still such a long road to journey.

11. Krystal says:

Praise the LORD!!!!!!!

• Hannah says:

YES!! There are no words to express our gratitude. Still a long way to go, but He has brought us this far.

12. Dennis and Fay says:

We are thankful to God for this report and will continue to pray for your family.

• Hannah says:

We are too! It has been an unbelievable roller coaster, but we know He will continue to work and fight for us. Thank you so much for the prayers.

13. Debra Chester says:

Praise the Lord!!!

14. Dawn Bailey says:

Oh what wonderful news! I am continuing to pray for you, the girls, and your family!

• Hannah says:

Yes!! Thank you for the continued prayers! I was super disappointed to hear that we still have an uphill battle, but I know that God will continue to carry us.

15. Amelia Boissonneault says:

This is amazing!!! I’ve recently started following your blog and have been sending up prayers for your family and sweet babies! xoxo

• Hannah says:

Thank you for following! We are waaaaaay out in West TX without family, but online community honestly helps us feel cared for. And thank you for the prayers! Our doctor said that’s the only thing that can help these babies now.

16. Thanking the Lord for this blessing! May He continue to bless you all and keep you in the days and weeks ahead❤️

• Hannah says:

We are too! It was so incredible to hear the doctor use the word “miracle”. Praying He continues the work!

17. Rachel says:

Crying at work reading this update!!! Blessings & continued prayers to your family!

18. Shawna Campbell says:

Praise God! I have been checking ur page everyday to stay updated. We recently had our 2nd baby, month old today actually, and I couldn’t imagine the feelings you are going through. When your a parent you feel so much more for parents going thru what you are. My heart breaks for you and I’m praying for you guys everyday. God has a plan, trust in him. I found ur page bc I follow ryanandrose. Started following you so I can follow ur journey and continue to pray for you. Hope you have a good day!

• Hannah says:

Yes, praise God!! Thanks for caring and following along. It means so much to us to have others praying.
      That’s so true. Being a parent connects you to all other parents. Your heart changes.
      Oh I LOVE Ryan and Rose! So adorable.
      Thank you so much for the prayers!

19. Megan Anthony says:

I know I don’t know y’all personally but after following you on Instagram last week I learned y’all live in Lubbock, my husband, 8 month old daughter and I doas well. If y’all ever need anything while your on bed rest let me know I would be happy to help, I truly mean it!! No questions asked! Praying everyday for y’all!

• Hannah says:

Oh that’s so sweet of you! We certainly will need help so I’ll keep you in mind. Or just come for a visit! Haha. The online world is so funny, but can lead to meeting real people. Thanks for reaching out!

20. Charis says:

thank you Jesus! praying for health and strength for you and for the days ahead!

21. Heidi Fraser says:

I am praising the Lord for what He has done and that your little girls are still alive! May God give all of you strength for each day reminding you that His mercies are new every morning and surrounding you with His peace and comfort in the midst of the uncertainty.