When I was 12, I found myself living every kid’s worst nightmare. I had just been introduced to an elderly relative’s friend. As all of my cousins ran outside to play I had somehow been singled out to stay inside and talk with this sweet old lady (something I now love!). As I gazed outside and imagined myself getting dirty or maybe climbing a tree, I heard my new aquaintance say, “So, tell me about yourself.” I of course, said the first thing that popped into my mind, “Well I’m not very interesting.”
Since then I’ve led a very interesting life. I don’t really think about it until I’m talking to someone else and they make one of the usual comments, “that’s really weird”, “are you serious”, “I can’t imagine.” From my childhood, to getting married at 19, and now having twins, I guess my life hasn’t been super mainstream. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super grateful to be where I am now. God has been gracious.
When I had my TTTS surgery, I apparently told my anesthesiologist my life story and Nate and I’s entire love story. Even though I was drugged, I remember her prodding me on and asking more questions. When surgery was over and I was coming to, I heard her saying goodbye. She also told me to pursue my dreams and that Nate and I’s love story was like a hallmark movie. What did I say?!?! Haha.
So, if you’re new to the blog and our family, here are 10 things about me that I promise you didn’t know. (Family and friends may already know a few. Sorry y’all.)
1. Nate and I didn’t kiss until the day we got married. No, you didn’t misread that. More to come.
2. I have an imagination to rival that of J. R. R. Tolkien. It all started when I was 2-years-old. My mom gave me a time out on my bed with absolutely nothing on it. When she came back I yelled out, “Mom! Look at this party!”
3. My husband calls me “The Agressive Friend Maker.” When we moved to Texas we only knew two people. I needed friends so badly and every young mom was a potential new BFF. Two of my new best friends came from totally casual encounters at Starbucks and Chick-fil-a. They’ve been a huge blessing in my life.
4. I was a regular Tom Sawyer when I was little. When I was maybe 10, I got into trouble. Not sure what I did, but the consequence was to water the entire yard. Front, back, and gardens. Just 5 minutes in, I decided this was just not for me. As the neighbor kids came by, I convinced them that I was having the time of my life. In the next 5 minutes, I had 6 other kids paying me to do a relay race to water everything.
5. So far in life my proudest moment was giving birth to Fern WITHOUT an epidural. Nothing has ever come close.
6. My worst fear is water. Seriously. Deep dark water is what gives me the chills. When I was 16 I mustered up the courage and went snorkeling in 500 foot deep waters to spear hunt fish. EEEEEEK.
7. I never went to college. Long story here too. I wish I had that degree, but I love staying home with my daughter and I have not one, but two jobs. I blog (that’s a real job, right?) and teach piano lessons.
8. I’ve loved Nate since I was 16 years old, but by the time I was 18, I had only seen him twice and actually said the words, “I hope he dies of a broken heart.”
9. My favorite outing is honestly Starbucks. If I can sip on my fave drink AND hang out with Fern or a friend, there’s not much better.
10. I’d go live in a tiny house tomorrow. Fern, twins, and all. I’ve never been super into material things for the sake of having them. I am a recovering hoarder though. My dream is simple living. Three kids. Maybe horses. Less stuff and more adventure.
Thanks for reading y’all. Subscribe and follow along.